“Body movin’, body movin’
We be getting down and you know we’re Krush Groovin” -Beastie Boys
Good morning all! Pillar 2 of whole health is movement.
Our bodies were meant to MOVE! Whether you take the stairs, park a 1/4 mile from your office or do 15 sit-ups in the morning or run seven miles, please make sure you’re doing some kind of body moving. Your health-brain, belly, body, spirit, emotional health-depends on it.
Exercise is optional, movement is vital. We’ve been moving for ages. Exercise was invented in the modern world and often causes a cringe when mentioned. Movement is as old as time. We danced, played, walked, ran, crawled, hunted, gathered and sexed throughout the centuries. And now today, we sit. We sit all day, then sit all night, then lay down and wake up and do it all over again. Let’s get that body movin’ like the Boys say.
Here are some simple ways to change up your daily routine and get some movement in:
- Get a standing desk. If your boss won’t get you one, make one. Pile books or crates and have it as a back up throughout the day.
- Use a ball for sitting. This engages muscles that may have gotten lost over the years, find them again!
- Fidget. A recent study found that fidgeting may be healthy for you. It’s little movements, but at least its something.
- Body movin’ break. Get up for 5 minutes every hour and walk or have a private dance party or stand in warrior for 2.5 minutes on each side.
- I’m a BIG proponent for getting outside, in Nature, as it has added benefits to your brain and body. Like increase in BDNF, a brain protein that boosts happiness and function.
- And of course there is always – walk your dog, your cat, yourself, run, rock climb, bike, swim, golf, body pump, yoga, kickboxing, use those metal machines at gym, etc.
“The body will become better at whatever you do, or don’t do. You don’t move? The body will make you better at NOT moving. If you move, your body will allow more movement.”